The Indian Diaspora Council International (IDC) presented to H.E Amb. Vinay Mohan Kwatra, India’s
Ambassador to France, on 16th October 2017 a “Memorandum of Matters of Interest to Persons of Indian
Origin (PIOs) from Francophone Territories” containing a synopsis of the major issues of interest to persons
of Indian origin (PIOs) in Francophone territories who comprise a significant percentage in the Indian Diaspora.
Presenting the memorandum were: Mr. Deo Gosine, President of IDC Trinidad & Tobago; Prof. Francis
Ponaman, President IDC Francophone Countries; Dr. Jean Regis Ramsamy, President of IDC Reunion Island;
Ms. Rita Abraham (South Africa), Chair of Indian Diaspora Women’s Forum.
The memorandum was developed from input, suggestions and recommendations from multiple sources, including
community organizations, scholars, individual and IDC affiliates in several countries. It is also based on IDC’s
extensive knowledge and experience, as well as interest within IDC and active engagement with other groups in
the worldwide Indian community.
Some of the critical issues pertinent to PIOs from Francophone Territories and suggestions include:
- Easier accessibility to OCI cards by persons of Indian origin (PIOs) in Francophone Territories who are
presently being denied due to lack of original English or French immigration documentation from India to
prove direct links to India. IDC proposes acceptance of alternate authenticated documentation as being
applied to Mauritius. Refer to attached information in the Memorandum.
- Preservation of all available English or French immigration documents for posterity and research.
- Conference sessions at Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) be also made available in French via translation
means or devices. Sessions specific to Francophone countries to be conducted in French.
- Know India Programmes (KIP) should accommodate French speaking youth who account for an
increasingly significant number of participants annually.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra (PBK) in Delhi set aside a section for documents, literature, films,
documentaries, publications, works of art published in French
The memorandum requested that these matters of interest and concern be consider favourably and forward to the
respective ministries of the Government of India for satisfactory resolution as soon as feasible.